The Strategy Bridge Writing Competition
The Strategy Bridge writing competition is back for 2018!
The competition is open to students attending civilian universities and military war or staff colleges at every level, including distance learning, correspondence, and fellowship programs. The competition deadline is 30 June 2018. Winning articles will be announced in August 2018 and published on The Strategy Bridge thereafter.
Original submissions are highly encouraged, though revised and reformatted professional military education papers that meet the standards of a professional journal and our submission guidelines will be considered. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- Theory of strategy
- Strategy development (within the military or between civilian and military actors/organizations)
- Strategic history
- Factors influencing strategy (technology, politics, geography, etc.)
- Educating strategists
- Strategy and the public
- The impact of information operations on strategy
- The future of strategy
A panel of judges gathered by The Strategy Bridge will evaluate entries based on originality, substance of argument, style, and contribution to advancing the understanding and practice of strategy.
First Place – Award of $500, publication in a special series in The Strategy Bridge journal, and consideration for a chapter in an edited volume published by a university press.
Second Place – Award of $300, publication in a special series in The Strategy Bridge journal, and consideration for a chapter in an edited volume published by a university press.
Third Place – Award of $50, publication in a special series in The Strategy Bridge journal, and consideration for a chapter in an edited volume published by a university press.
How to enter
- The Strategy Bridge will entertain articles with a tie to strategy that are between 2,000 and 5,000 words in length. Articles should include a short narrative biography of the author or authors. Notes and author biography are not considered in the word count. Submissions in excess of 5000 words will not be considered.
- Given our broad audience in the national security profession, we ask that submissions be free of jargon, acronyms, and idiosyncratic style; articles should be written for a general audience rather than a service- or national military-specific one. For more guidance, see our submission guidelines.
- All graphs, charts, and tables should be submitted as separate files in the format they were created; please include appropriate attribution information.
- Previously published articles are ineligible.
- Articles pending consideration elsewhere for publication, or articles submitted to other competitions still pending announced decisions are eligible for this competition, but if the article is accepted elsewhere the author must inform The Strategy Bridge immediately.
- Please send submissions in a Word document or Google Doc format to firstname.lastname@example.org.